- Save Energy & Money
- Customer Renewable Programs
- Electric Vehicles
Interested in Electric Vehicles?
Get a quick overview with our EV Brochure. Learn more >
Call: (808) 969-0358
Hawaii Electric Light Company, GoEV
Attn: Engineering Department
P.O. Box 1027
Hilo, Hawaii 96721-1027
Latest EV News
Benefits of Electric Vehicles
Electric vehicles ("EVs") play a growing role in reducing our dependency on fossil fuel and protecting our environment. Driving or riding in an EV for the first time may be a surprise. These cars are quiet, quick and fun. Among the benefits EV owners enjoy:
- Federal tax credit up to $7,500 for an EV purchase
- Lower fuel and maintenance costs. Even at today's low gas prices, charging an electric vehicle at home on the typical residential rate may save about 35 percent of fuel costs, compared to a similar-sized gasoline-powered sedan
- Enrolling in a special time-of-use electric rate may further reduce total home energy costs for charging at certain times of day
- Free parking in state and municipal lots and street spaces plus access to high-occupancy lanes with only a driver on board
- Being at the cutting edge of automotive and green vehicle technology
- Promoting a clean energy future for Hawaii as clean, renewable energy is increasingly added to the grid
- Reducing need for imported oil
- Reducing fossil fuel emissions and noise pollution
Is an EV Right for Me?
As you consider purchasing a new vehicle, remember, an electric vehicle can save you money on fuel and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our EV WattPlan tool allows you to choose an electric vehicle and compare it to a conventional gas option, providing you the cost comparison to help you make an informed decision.
Our EV Strategy for the Future
What role do electric vehicles play in the future of Hawaii and our clean energy goals? Our Electrification of Transportation (EoT) Strategic Roadmap details how the increased adoption of EVs will allow us to integrate even more renewables into our grid by encouraging battery charging demand during periods of the day when solar energy is abundant.