Grid Modernization Technologies
- Sustainability Report
- Our Clean Energy Portfolio
- Selling Power to the Utility
- Integration Tools and Resources
- Integrated Grid Planning
- Grid Modernization Technologies
- Electrification of Transportation
Grid Modernization Strategy
Through Order No. 34281, the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission (PUC) directed the Hawaiian Electric Companies to develop "a detailed Grid Modernization Strategy" that "will provide the comprehensive and holistic vision and context to inform subsequent review of discrete grid modernization project applications submitted by the Companies."
The PUC directed the Hawaiian Electric Companies to make an initial draft of the Grid Modernization Strategy available for stakeholder review and comment no later than June 30, 2017, with the final Grid Modernization Strategy documents be filed with the commission no later than August 29, 2017. The Grid Modernization Strategy is part of a proposed new planning process known as " Integrated Grid Planning" that integrates the needs at all levels of the system.
This web page will be regularly updated throughout the Grid Modernization Strategy process, with strategy documents and filings, workshop information, presentations, and public comments that have been submitted.
- On September 30, 2019, we filed an application with the PUC for approval of Phase 2 (Advanced Distribution Management System - ADMS) of our Grid Modernization Strategy.
- On September 25, 2019, we submitted our Phase 1 Advanced Rate Design Strategy and Data Access and Privacy to the PUC for review and acceptance.
- On March 25, 2019, the PUC approved our application to begin implementation of Phase 1 of our Grid Modernization Strategy.
- On June 21, 2018, we filed an application with the PUC for approval to begin Phase 1 implementation of our Grid Modernization Strategy.
- On February 7, 2018, the PUC approved our proposed Grid Modernization Strategy for implementation.
- On August 30, 2017, PUC opens docket and invites public comment by September 13, 2017 on our Grid Modernization Strategy.
- We filed our Grid Modernization Strategy with the PUC on August 29, 2017, providing a roadmap for building more resilient and renewable-ready island grids.
- We are no longer accepting comments in response to the Draft Grid Modernization Strategy. Public comments were accepted through August 9, 2017.
Grid Modernization Strategy Documents
- FINAL Grid Modernization Strategy - Filed on August 29, 2017
- Public Comment on June Grid Modernization Strategy Draft - August 2017
- DRAFT Grid Modernization Strategy- Filed on June 30, 2017
Hawaii Public Utilities Commission Orders
- Order No. 36230, For Approval to Commit Funds in Excess of $2,500,000 for the Phase 1 Grid Modernization Project, and Related Requests. (Docket No. 2018-0141, March 25, 2019)
- Order No. 35268, Instituting a Proceeding Related to The Hawaiian Electric Companies' Grid Modernization Strategy. (Docket No. 2017-0226, February 7, 2018)
- Order No. 34773, Opening a docket to serve as a repository for the GMS and any related filings/public comments (Docket No. 2017-0226, August 29, 2017)
- Order No. 34436, Addressing Motion for Partial Reconsideration (Docket No. 2016-0087, March 9, 2017)
- Order No. 34281, Dismissing Application Without Prejudice And Providing Guidance for Developing a Grid Modernization Strategy (Docket No. 2016-0087, January 4, 2017)
- Oahu: August 7 2017, McKinley High School, Hirata Hall, 6:30 p.m.
- Maui: August 2, 2017, J. Walter Cameron Center Auditorium, 5 p.m.
- Hawaii: July 31, 2017, Waiakea High Cafeteria in Hilo and August 1, 2017, Council Chambers at West Hawaii Civic Center in Kona, both at 6 p.m.