The Hawaiian Electric Companies urge fireworks safety during New Year celebrations
Release Date: 12/28/2017
Honolulu, Dec. 28, 2017 - As tens of thousands of residents plan to ring in 2018 with fireworks, Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric and Hawaii Electric Light would like to urge caution and offer these safety tips:
- Carefully set up and use fireworks in an area clear of overhead power lines.
- Do not string fireworks on utility poles.
- Ensure a 10-foot clearance from power lines when using ladders or other tools to string fireworks.
- If an object should become tangled in an overhead power line, don't try to free it. Call our trouble line at:
- Oahu 1-855-304-1212
- Maui (808) 871-7777
- Lanai or Molokai toll free at 1-877-871-8461
- Hawaii Island (808) 969-6666